The nature of our blind spots is that we can’t see them.
We can't grow a business. All we can do is grow the people and they will grow the business. Something happens the moment we ask the right question. The unconscious comes into awareness, novel thinking is stimulated and new possibilities appear.
Telling or instructing is a one dimensional process. Coaching forces the coachee to think and to understand, not simply do as they are told. Coaching your staff moves away from instructing and enables them to think and understand for themselves.
- Take off your fireman’s helmet and quit fighting fires.
- Move from telling to coaching so people think for themselves.
- Build intrinsic motivation and foster inventiveness and ingenuity.
- People get on with the job because they know exactly what is expected of them.
- People do more than simply follow your instructions; they start to understand your thinking process.
- The same mistakes stop happening as people get more involved.
- More dynamic conversations means more dynamic thinking and surer outcomes.
Types of coaching conversations
- Giving feedback
- Delegating tasks and/or responsibility
- Teaching new skills